Thursday, October 13, 2011

A little bit of nostalgia.....

This past weekend was my ten year reunion. I never expected to feel so much emotion from just walking into the football stadium, or from seeing people i've had little to no contact with since high school. Talk about an eye opener!!!! There are so many people who mean so much to me from those days, and the even more impressive thing are the new friendships ive made over the years with people i rarely spoke to at SHHS. It really makes you wonder why you wasted time sticking to your so called "cliques" and didnt branch out more. It also made me wonder why i didn't put more of an effort to stay in touch with people who i got to be a "kid" with for so many years. We all grew up together, and experienced some of the first of "life's biggest lessons"  with each other....from bra's, to first loves, to the nervousness of that first homecoming dance, to learning what it means to be a good friend, to knowing that your friends are all you need after a guy broke your heart...Wow!!!!



Saturday night we opened up packets of stuff that we put in our time capsule. Let me just tell you, i was "that girl" who cried after reading her letter. (Thank you Renee for the hug to stop the waterworks!) I never thought as an 18 year old i'd have some sense in my head, but reading my letter really made me realize a lot about that little girl. She was strong, and ready for the world. She was hopeful, and realistic. She was smart, and wore her heart on her sleeve. She was REAL....and i want to share that girl with the rest of you.

Dear Candace,
So here you are, 10 years out of high school. I bet you wish you could go back right? Our senior year consisted of you saying that you couldn't wait to get out of this "hell hole" every single day. Do you miss your friends? Melanie, Amber, Kara, Kay, Tiffany,Vanessa, Rachel, Robin, Renee, Kerri, Alicia, Krista and many others were a huge part of your high school years. If you havent talked to them in a long time at this point in your life , or had an unresolved argument, pick up the phone and call them. Let them know how much you miss them and how important they are to you. I hope that you cherished all of the memories made with them and many others in high school, good or bad, and hopefully soon (if not now) you are sharing them with your children.
 I pray that you are finally happy with your life and that you are successful. (Hopefully college was a breeze for you.) I hope you have everything you ever wanted, including a husband that makes you happy and treats you right. I pray that you are still close to God, and love him more than ever for helping you get through life. Life is a constant battle, and if you are struggling right now, just BREATHE. Everything will be okay, it ALWAYS works out and turns out good in the end.
Remember all of the heartache over boys in high school? Seems funny now that you ever even cried about it, right? You thought you would never be alright after Rodney, but think back about how it all turned out! God had a plan Candace, he's always comminucated it. Bet you wish you would have trusted that more over the past ten years. You were and ARE still SO strong! Dont ever give up, or my 18 year old self will come back and kick your ass!
Right now as i sit at work (lifeguarding at the YMCA....yuck! Remember that job????), i think about your future. I hope you become an interior decorator. If you have kids, i hope you have 2. (One boy, one girl) I hope you have true love, and i hope your family is closer than ever. Dont freak out if none of this is true, because as long as you are happy i am SO proud of you.
Never forget all of the memories Candace. Cheering at football games, dancing your butt off at Homecoming/Proms, summer parties at Dan & Robs, all of the nights spent at Keiths, writing in chalk on Ambers walls or in marker on the top of Kays truck, singing with Melanie, the friendship with Carlin, the slumber parties with Kara, the fighting with your friends about the DUMBEST stuff....and most importantly, dont forget about ME. The 18 year old girl who hopes and prays of the BEST for herself, and knows that with God, anything is possible. I  know that you will always be okay....dont forget to tell yourself that every now and then. Dont ever forget how beautiful you are, and you mean the world to tons of people around you. You are worthy, smart, and lucky to be blessed with the life youve had so far. I love you Candace Nicole, forever and always!
P.S.- I hope you had fun in Cancun! :)


HAHA! I love the ending of this. :) What a rollercoaster of emotions. Im glad to say that this girl pushed me to reach for these goals. Im in love with a wonderful man, who will be my husband next year. (FINALLY!) I have a beautiful baby boy who makes me the happiest ive ever been. I have a great job, great friends, and my parents/siblings are my backbone/loves of my life.God has truly blessed me, and i hope hes done the same for each of you. I love you class of 02, and i hope the 18 year old in all of you still whispers in your ear every now and then. :)


xoxo
Candace

1 comment:

  1. Your letter is awesome!! I wish we had done something like that at graduation.

    ReplyDelete